Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hail Mary Chili

A BEER FOR ME AND A BEER FOR MY CHILI  


RECIPE serves 4-5 huge portions 

1.5 lb ground turkey 
6 hot spicy turkey sausage links out of the casings *OR FOR GOING VEG* use 4-6  veggie crumbled veggie burgers how ever many you have. 
1 bottle/can lager style beer
1 15oz can tomato sauce
2 15oz can stewed tomatoes
1 cup veg stock 
1 can light kidney beans or pinto beans (rinsed & drained) 
1 can corn
1 yellow onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped 
2 ribs celery chopped
3-4 cloves garlic 
handful jalapeños 
2+ palmsful chili powder
2-3 bay leafs 
a bunch of cilantro chopped (save some aside for garnish)
cheese/chopped red onion/sour cream/yogurt/ i am big on garnishes

Coat pot with EVOO. Cook turkey until not pink. Add green pepper and celery. Cook 5-7 minutes. Add chili powder and 1/2 of the stock. Add onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes. Throw in beer and let simmer 2-3 minutes then add tomato cans, beans, remaining stock, jalapeños, corn, cilantro, bay leafs, add chili powder if needed. Salt/ pepper. Cook over low heat 90 minutes. 

JALAPEñOS CORN BREAD
any boxed brand of corn bread (except whole wheat it has awful taste and the consistency of a paper plate!)
2 handfuls chopped jalapeños (i use jarred if fresh remove seeds for less heat)
2 tablespoons minced onion 
1 egg
1 cup milk
mix together and make according to box! 

New York sure is one hell of a town. When I travel I always come back rusty. Tackling the grocery store(s) was a disaster, but it got me into the swing of things immediately. There isn't a nice big supermarket in my neighborhood. There's the organic market, the bodega, or the grocery (for everything packaged the meat, fish, and produce will likely kill you). It takes shopping at three stores to survive. The isles are tiny. People are always getting into fights. The cashier made me wait a beat today until she finished her boloney sandwich to ring me up. The manager hit me with a basket he was throwing into the pile. An old lady yelled at me for excusing myself with my big ass stroller to pass her. Some guy was having a meltdown over what to buy to kill his bed bugs. He made Alex cry. Just another day. I was now on a mission to keep myself on vacation mode and make it without uttering one curse word and just keep it together enough to get to the wine store where everything is always ok. So guess who was inside talking with the most familiar voice to the salesgirl?!? Dr. freaking Ruth. I prank called Dr Ruth's sex lines every single Friday night in middle school. She and her on air sex advise have such a special place in my heart. I taped my pranks to her and used them as a fancy cassette tape demo to get started as a voice over artist when I was 16 and began making prank calls for a living. True story. And here I am determined to not let the fast pace speed me up. My zen is so so gone and all I've got left is the giggles and motivation to go home, cook, and youtube old LoveLine clips while Alex naps. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds absolutely yummy!

    I'm sure the beer gives the chilli a different flavor :)

    ReplyDelete